Monday, March 13, 2017

Getting More Specific - Can we define which robots should be included?

In case you have not had a chance to see my short scenario describing The Robot Minimum Wage Plan (RMWP) please take a minute to read it to get up to speed on the concepts we are discussing here.

Thanks to those who have been participating with their comments, It's interesting that the latest few comments are very specific in that they point out that their particular applications should be exempt from the RMWP.

So, maybe a good way to move further towards this solution would be to start talking about specific applications and the impact the RMWP might have on them. If you have an example that you are familiar with please leave a comment about it and we can have the discussion here.

Don't forget to carefully consider who owns the robot.

For example, we may very soon all have our own robot gardeners providing food, herbs, flowers, fruits and berries.

https://farmbot.io/

It's a bit expensive for casual purchase, today. But it's also Open Source, so I could build my own.

What other convenient, inexpensive Open Source robots will become available this year or next? I'm not sure I want my home garden and home manufacturing robots to be taxed, and I certainly don't want them to be taxed at the rates of an industrial production robot.
My thoughts are that firstly, yes, if you build it at home it is obviously not taking away a job so the RMWP does not apply. For certain we do not want to discourage Open Source and DIY robotics. In fact they should be encouraged because they may lead to even better solutions in the future. 
However, lets say a commercial vegetable grower replaces a bunch of people to incorporate one of your systems to grow vegetables for the market. Or lets even say he started from scratch and did not need to hire anyone to do the work of planting and harvesting but instead just uses robots to do that. In this case, I think it would be fair to include the robots into the plan and to pay them the wage. If this is an across the board requirement then it should be fair to all those in the business of growing produce.
------
I work in the robotic surgery training/support field- not in manufacturing. I like the proposal of industrial robots contributing to the tax base, but not the idea for a robotic minimum wage.
IBM used to have a slogan: "Machines should work,people should think." I agree.
Displaced workers should not be relegated to welfare/semi welfare livelihoods. People need purpose in their lives. Monies collected via a robotic equipment tax should be used wisely- to educate the displaced workers, helping them to provide for themselves and their families in new vocations or professions. That way, they win- and society does as well. 
I hate the thought that displaced workers would only be faced with minimum-wage job options- what a waste that would be. I hope the future will be better and smarter than that.
Me too, and this is one of the tough issues we will face no matter what in my opinion. In my scenario I state the following:
My friend and his wife choose to work 5 days a week and live in a nicer house and send their kids to private school. My spouse works at their daycare 3 days per week.
I have other highly successful friends who work in the robot industry … designing, building, installing and operating robots.

Nobody that I know works in a repetitive dirty job … the robots do that work.

My thought is that while we will need to provide basic existence for all, we will also need to encourage those who want more by keeping as much of our capitalist system in place as possible. There should always be opportunity for those who want to go after it, but it will just not be in the realm of menial tasks that robots can do. I think that is inevitable whether or not we address the issue of unemployment due to replacement of jobs. But, lets be honest. There will also be many who are satisfied with the minimum and there will also be those who want to take advantage of the medium route by working part time for some perks. We need to provide for all of those options. How to do that will involve much more detailed study and discussion but it must be a priority to any solution we arrive at in the future.

So, maybe a good way to move further towards this solution would be to start talking about specific applications and the impact the RMWP might have on them. If you have an example that you are familiar with please leave a comment about it and we can have the discussion here.

-----

Please take a moment and comment with your impressions (just click on the comment link below). Could it work? I’d appreciate 2 points of view. Your first impressions and thoughts (positive or negative) followed by the opposite argument. If the first impression is positive (this could work because) then the second should be a rebuttal to the first (this will never work because). 

If you're new please have a look at this Introduction before commenting. 


1 comment:


  1. I'm not sure I totally agree that my home built garden robot would never be part of some RMWP calculation.

    > My thoughts are that firstly, yes, if you build it at home it is
    > obviously not taking away a job so the RMWP does not apply. For
    > certain we do not want to discourage Open Source and DIY robotics.
    > In fact they should be encouraged because they may lead to even
    > better solutions in the future.

    I'm not even sure I'd object to it being taxed at some residential, home level.

    Bear in mind, even a garden robot that I build for myself and only use at home does replace at least a fraction of a greenhouse employee somewhere. Multiply that by all the other home garden robots and you might have quite a large number of unemployed greenhouse employees.

    I just used my home 3D printer to create a furniture part today. Four of them, actually, and they work so well that I will be making eight more of them tomorrow. Somewhere in a nylon furniture parts factory and a distributor's warehouse and a retail/online store, several fractions of several employee's jobs were impacted by my heinous act of home repair self sufficiency.

    Should there be some sort of employment tax on my 3D printer? If so, how much? Who decides? Who collects? Who records and reports?

    Obviously, we don't want to hyperventilate here. It's probably too soon to start licensing home 3D printers.

    It's probably not too soon to consider their impact on employment.

    Oh, and that garden robot? Part of it is manufactured with 3D printed parts, which I could print for myself, at home.

    When I do that, I will impact the farmbot factory worker.

    Fractionally.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to keep your comments positive in nature so we can build on your ideas.